Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Save $$ & H20

The Chandler City Council is scheduled to approve cash rebates to residents who buy water-saving washers. (Read more at http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0228cr-washers0228.html )

The assignment was to get customers at the Maytag store testing out the new Duet Steam Washer, or if there were no customers I was to get an employee to show some of its features. (This washer seems pretty amazing - it can wash 17 pair of jeans in one load, and spins at a rate 3 times most washers so the clothes are pretty dry after the wash. The amount of water used is about 1/3 of a normal washer as well, so you save on water usage, too.) I walked into the store and could have sworn I was the only person in there. I made my way towards the back as I fiddled with my camera settings and there I met Sheila and another employee. They were expecting me, and greeted me warmly. I explained I wanted to try a fun photo and proceeded to set up my camera inside the dryer (yes... the dryer. I later realized my mistake and then had to reshoot from inside the washer since that is what the story was about.). I had her explain some of the washer and dryer features. It took a few tries to get the composition I was satisfied with. The dryer had a deeper pocket and made it easier to capture the composition I wanted. Unfortunately, the second photo (from inside the washer) doesn't appear as candid. Sheila seemed to have been caught smiling instead of talking about the features like she was in the first one.

cr-washers0228 150687 -- 02/26/08 -- Sheila Schoenwald (cq) points out features on the Whirlpool Duet steam dryer as seen from the inside of the dryer, Tuesday at the Maytag store in Chandler. -- Photo by Geoffrey McAllister/The Arizona Republic
_ _ _

cr-washers0228 150687 -- 02/26/08 -- Sheila Schoenwald (cq) points out features on the Whirlpool Duet Steam Washer as seen from the inside of the washer, Tuesday at the Maytag store in Chandler. The Chandler City Council is scheduled to approve cash rebates to residents who buy water-saving washers. -- Photo by Geoffrey McAllister/The Arizona Republic
_ _ _

Me setting up.