Monday, June 30, 2008

Lost Hiker


Related article: Hiker killed in fall from ledge in Big Cottonwood Canyon
Related article: Searchers find Herriman teen's body in Big Cottonwood Canyon

As I drove to Big Cottonwood Canyon early Monday morning I was hoping this would be a rescue story. By the emotion in the above photograph, it's easy to see it was not. As I arrived at the base of Moss Ledge I could hear the emotions of those just being told their sister/friend/girlfriend had been found at the base of a cliff.

When I photograph these types of situations I have to tell myself that the public needs to see these photographs to understand their love for the lost loved one, and the grief they are going through. I feel it's important to share these feelings with our readers so they too can feel sympathy. I feel it also acts as a reminder to just how precious and fragile our lives are.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the friends and loved ones of Christina Traylor.